It has served Marks & Spencer customers for almost a century and once made more money per square foot than any other shop in the world.
But now the retailer’s vast central London store near Marble Arch is to be demolished and then redeveloped with reduced retail space and new offices in the latest demonstration of big changes on Britain’s high street.
The store, nicknamed “The Arch” by M&S employees, was opened in 1930, selling a range of goods, including stationery, haberdashery, clothing and household items, all priced at less than five shillings.
The proposed redevelopment of the M&S Marble Arch store, designed by Pilbrow & Partners
PILBROW & PARTNERS
Simon Marks, the son of the retailer’s founder who led the modernisation and expansion of the business after the First World War, visited daily and personally approved any changes to display areas.