Welcome back to the Evening Standard’s LIVE coverage of all the latest transfer news as the fallout continues from last week’s deadline day.
The domestic window finally slammed shut for Premier League clubs in its entirety on Friday, 16 October, with the international window having already closed on October 5.
Top flight clubs utilised the initial eleven days of negotiation with EFL clubs to good effect, as West Ham sealed a potential £30million deal for Brentford’s Said Benrahma, while Tottenham nabbed Jose Rodon from Swansea and Crystal Palace brought in Jack Butland to strengthen their goalkeeping options.
As for deals during the main window, Chelsea spent over £200m on the likes of Kai Havertz and Timo Werner, Manchester United missed out on Jadon Sancho but signed Edinson Cavani, and Arsenal recruited £45m Thomas Partey among others.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Lamptey set for bumper new Brighton deal
One of the most talked-about players of this young Premier League season has been Tariq Lamptey, who has continued to shine for Brighton after leaving Chelsea in January.
The 20-year-old right-back’s consistently impressive performances at Amex Stadium certainly haven’t gone unnoticed, with reports claiming that he is already in line for a bumper pay increase after attracting interest from clubs such as Sevilla.
Per The Sun, Lamptey will soon start negotiations over an upgrade to a deal which currently pays him £14,000-a-week plus bonuses until 2023.
Liverpool and Man United scout Jóhannesson
Liverpool will be expected to double down on their pursuit of new defensive recruits after Joel Matip joined Virgil van Dijk on the sidelines last night.
However, according to Swedish newspaper Expressen, the Reds have joined the likes of Manchester United and Juventus in scouting midfielder Ísak Bergmann Jóhannesson.
The English-born 17-year-old is one of the most highly-rated young properties in Swedish football and currently plies his trade with IFK Norrköping and the Icelandic Under-21 team.
MAN UTD NEWS
Man United saga affecting Sancho form?
It hasn’t been the best start to the 2020/21 season for Jadon Sancho.
The England forward has yet to open his scoring account in the Bundesliga this term and is some way short of the heights experienced over recent seasons at Dortmund.
And while BVB boss Lucien Favre admits that no player can sustain such levels indefinitely, he claims that the protracted summer transfer saga involving Sancho may have impacted adversely upon his form.
Manchester United pushed hard to sign the 20-year-old throughout the window, though could not get Dortmund to budge on their £108m valuation and are expected to strike up more negotiations in January.
“Every player has slow periods,” Favre said ahead of Dortmund’s Champions League tie against Zenit. “There was a lot of talk about Jadon during the summer – something like that can be a factor.
“No player is consistently in top form for an entire year, that’s impossible. You have to accept that.”
Arsenal face Aouar fight
Arsenal are facing a stiff battle in the race to sign Houssem Aouar it seems.
The Gunners targeted a move for the Lyon star over the summer, but he eventually opted to stay put as Arsenal instead clinched a deadline day deal for Mikel Arteta’s no1 target Thomas Partey.
It has been suggested that the club will revisit their interest in Aouar, though The Sun now claims that both Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain are also keen on his signature.
MAN UTD NEWS
Man United to swoop for Upamecano
Manchester United are planning to move for RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano, reports suggest.
United were heavily linked with Upamecano this summer, but the player eventually committed his future to Leipzig.
They will get a close-up look at the 22-year-old tonight when United and Leipzig go head to head in the Champions League at Old Trafford.
“There’s always rumours and speculation about good players for Manchester United,” Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said of those latest Upamecano links at his pre-match press conference on Tuesday.
“I’ve always tried to respect [that] they are players for other teams and don’t want to comment on every player we are linked to.
“But since he’s playing against us tomorrow, I know he’s a very good player and we can see him close up tomorrow.”
Well now… LaLiga president Javier Tebas has immediately denounced Bartomeu’s European Super League announcement via Twitter.
Tebas wrote: “Unfortunate @jmbartomeu, announcing on his last day the participation in a “phantom” competition which would be the ruin of Barcelona, and confirms his ignorance in the football industry.
“Sad end of a president who had successes, but more lately errors.”
It appears as though one of Bartomeu’s final acts may have been to agree for Barcelona to feature in a European Super League, which could make things very difficult for the next president and board.
The drama continues at Camp Nou…
Huge news coming out of Barcelona tonight – Josep Maria Bartomeu has resigned as club president.
The rest of the board have also resigned their positions.
We all know by now that Arsenal ended up signing Thomas Partey on deadline day after a move for Houssem Aouar failed to materialise.
However, L’Equipe reports that Mikel Arteta’s preferred choice may have been Aouar, though – as per Sport Witness – Edu’s opinion ‘obviously had more weight’ than Arteta’s.
MAN UTD NEWS
Scott McTominay has praised Manchester United’s summer signings – and Donny van de Beek in particular.
“You can see the way Donny comes to training every day, a big smile on his face, wanting to work hard, wanting to really impress everybody. As the manager said, I’m so confident Donny will be such an important figure in this team and throughout the whole season.
“The way he’s come in has lifted everyone else along with Alex (Telles), Edinson (Cavani), big signings like that who are top quality players can really lift the dressing room. I feel like we’ve seen that already with the way Alex played in Paris and obviously Donny coming off the bench and showing what ability he has got.
“I feel like there’s no time to panic for Donny. People can be so quick to come to an assumption that he’s not playing and things like that. Give him time, let him adapt to the league, let him settle into his new house or wherever he is living and really let him concentrate on his season.”
MAN UTD NEWS
Donny van de Beek will play a “big, big part this year” at Manchester United despite only being used sparingly since his summer arrival, according to Solskjaer.
“When players come into a new league, a new team, it’s always going to be a time of (transition),” the United boss said. “When Donny has played, he’s played really well.
“I think it says a lot about our depth of quality in the squad that we don’t have to use him every single game because we have other players as well.”
MAN UTD NEWS
Manchester United face RB Leipzig tomorrow night – and Dayot Upamecano, who was linked with United this summer, will surely be in action at Old Trafford.
Asked about the young defender today, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said: There’s always rumours and speculation about good players for Manchester United.
“I’ve always tried to respect that they are players for other teams and don’t want to comment on every player that we are linked to.
“But since he’s playing against us tomorrow, I know he’s a very good player so we can see him close up tomorrow.”
Christian Eriksen’s time at Inter could be over inside a year, according to Calciomercato.
Eriksen left Tottenham in a deal worth around £17m in January but has struggled to assert himself in Antonio Conte’s starting line-up, making just two starts this season, and the head coach is now reportedly open to a sale.
Paris Saint-Germain have been linked with interest, along with a sensational return to Spurs.
Antonio Rudiger is set for a second chance at Chelsea after talks with Frank Lampard, report the Daily Mail.
Rudiger was a target for Tottenham during the transfer window, having dropped down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge, and has featured in just one matchday squad this season.
That exile now appears to be over, though, after heart-to-heart talks.
Jose Mourinho has plenty of sympathy for Dele Alli and others confined to the fringes at Tottenham but the head coach reflected that the “life of a big club” means difficult decisions are necessary.
Alli has started just two of Tottenham’s 11 fixtures this season and, not for the first time in recent weeks, the England midfielder was left out of the matchday squad for the 1-0 win at Burnley on Monday evening.
Mourinho insists Alli plus the likes of Davinson Sanchez and Harry Winks, unused substitutes at Turf Moor, will be given opportunities with the trio set to come into the reckoning for the Europa League trip to Antwerp on Thursday.
“I feel very bad we did,” Mourinho said, when asked whether Alli’s omission was because Tottenham have an overabundance of attackers. I feel even sad every time I have to write a list of players selected for a game. It’s not just about Dele.
“If the players understand that on Thursday we have another match and that some people that didn’t play here, they are going to play on Thursday and vice-versa.
“This is the life of a big club. This is the life that I know from my time at Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Chelsea. The boys have to be ready.
“Winks and Davinson were in the stands, Dele stayed at home, Bergwijn had a little injury, Aurier had a little injury. It is the kind of squad where little injuries, we don’t need to risks.
“The squad is very good, it is very strong and every match if it’s not Dele the next match will be another one and the next match will be another one. I have to admit it hurts me because they deserve more but this is the life of a top squad.”
“I’m very disappointed with the Hegazi departure because I was assured this week he was staying,” the Baggies boss said after the match. “He was meant to play today. He’s a top professional. He had to wait for his chance but, because of his know-how, I counted on him big time.
“To lose him on basically Sunday morning makes me really disappointed.”
Man United eye Adama Traore deal
Manchester United have already signed one Traore over recent weeks in young Atalanta winger Amad, who is set to arrive at Old Trafford in January.
However, Italian outlet Calciomercato now reports that the Red Devils are also eyeing a deal for the Ivorian’s namesake Adama as they seek alternatives to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s long-term no1 target Jadon Sancho following a fruitless summer chase.
Manchester City, Liverpool and Bacelona are also said to be chasing the gifted Spaniard, who is reportedly valued at around £90m by Wolves.
Coady ‘ready-made’ Van Dijk replacement
Former Liverpool man Mark Lawrenson has thrown his support behind the suggestion that Conor Coady would be an ideal replacement for the injured Virgil van Dijk.
Coady came through the Reds academy but left before making a first team appearance. However, with his stock soaring, Lawrenson is one of many who feels the club should look to bring him back.
“I would think Virgil will be out for the season,” Lawrenson told the Argus. “I think it’s a write-off because you’ve got to get match fit and that’s almost impossible nowadays because they don’t play reserve team football.
“If Liverpool are going to pay big money for somebody in January, they want absolutely ready-made. Conor Coady has had loads of shouts and he is a very good organiser who has played lots of games in the Premier League.”
Pep Guardiola has revealed he wanted to sign a striker during the summer as Manchester City count the cost of a fresh injury to Sergio Aguero.
City believed they were in pole position to land Lionel Messi after the Barcelona legend declared his intention to quit Camp Nou.
But the Argentine was ultimately forced to stay with the Catalan giants – leaving Guardiola with no other options. Now City have been hit with a striking crisis, with both Aguero and Gabriel Jesus out injured.
“We thought about it, another type of striker, but we couldn’t do it,” he said. “The club did what it could. They want to reinvest in the team. Our team is so young.
“When you decide to buy a striker, they need to be on Gabriel and Sergio’s level and you cannot afford it. That’s the reality.
“I’m not saying the club didn’t want to do it, they wanted to make as strong a team as possible, but we thought Sergio is coming back and we didn’t expect Gabriel’s injury.”
While Manchester United missed out on Erling Haaland in January 2019, it appears as though OIe Gunnar Solskjaer hasn’t given up hope of signing the forward yet.
Haaland is continuing to star for Borussia Dortmund, but The Athletic reports that Solskjaer still has the Norwegian forward top of his transfer wishlist for strikers.
Haaland is said to be available for around £68m in summer 2022 – a clause, coincidentally, which was one of the key reasons why United backed out of the running to sign him originally – though a higher fee before then would likely seal the deal.
So, are we to expect an offer north of £70m next summer? Time will tell…
When does the ‘winter window’ open?
The January transfer window opens on Friday January 1, 2021, and will run until Sunday January 31.