Restaurants owners across Wales say they will be forced to waste thousands of pounds’ worth of food after Wales’ lockdown was moved forward at short notice.
On Saturday, First Minister Mark Drakeford announced a sudden Tier 4 lockdown in Wales which started from midnight.
All non-essential shops and gyms have closed, while hospitality has been forced to shut once again and only provide takeaway food.
The only household bubbles allowed will be for single person households joining with one other household. The Christmas bubble rules which allow two households to join will apply on Christmas Day alone.
Chefs across the country, who have been busy preparing for a busy Christmas period, have seen their plans scuppered by this early tightening of the rules.
Michelin star chef James Sommerin tweeted to say he had a fridge full of food for the last few days of opening which would go to waste.
He told WalesOnline: “The news of the lockdown came as a huge shock and there’s a lot of frustration.
“We just wish there was more notice. A few more days’ notice would have saved people up and down the country a lot of money.
“Many restaurants, cafes and others will be in the same position. Suppliers would have also ordered in extra stock.
“The support from our family, friends and customers has been great and they’ve supported us through this tough year.”
Tommy Heaney, who runs a popular restaurant in Pontcanna, Cardiff said he had 140 roast dinners free to a good home.
Earlier this month, the famous chef said Mark Drakeford was banned from his restaurant.
Asador 44, a popular Spanish grill and wine house, also took to Twitter to ask for some support.
They also said: “May be our last day guys with Cardiff effectively closed and not many people around, so come and stock up, open till 4pm today!”