“FilmLA takes its direction on film policy from the government clients we contract with. The County and City each reversed their directives, originally issued around 7 pm on 11/25, today at around 1 pm. As municipal partners announce changes in protocol related to COVID-19 or anything else, we do our best to share that news and keep the Industry informed. Questions about the change in policy are best directed to the Office of the CEO for Los Angeles County, and the Board of Public Works for the City of Los Angeles. We are working to make sure this morning’s message is withdrawn wherever it appeared.”
UPDATED, 2:08 PM: That was fast. Hours after it passed along new county-wide limits on after-hours filming in Los Angeles, FilmLA has rescinded that order.
L.A.’s New ‘Targeted’ Stay-At-Home Order Restrictions Revealed; Unclear When They Take Effect
Without explaining its reasoning, the film-permitting office just issued this statement:
“Los Angeles County and the City of Los Angeles have advised FilmLA that filming will not be restricted to the hours between 5 a.m. / 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., as previously announced. Filmmakers are highly encouraged to stay within those limits, if feasible, and be mindful of community impact while California’s Limited Stay at Home Order is in effect. Today’s original Production Alert is hereby withdrawn. This notice will be removed from the FilmLA website on 11/27/20.”
Reached by Deadline today, Dr. Muntu Davis, L.A. County’s health officer — the person who actually signs health-closure orders — said of FilmLA’s original order: “As far as we have discussed, we mirror the state’s order on that. I don’t know where that’s coming from.”
California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s new limited stay-at-home order issued last week — which restricts “non-essential work, movement and gatherings stop between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. in counties in the [state’s] purple tier” — does not apply to entertainment industry workers. They remain on the list of essential workers and thus are an exception to the rule.
Read details of the original order below.
PREVIOUSLY, 11:10 AM: With the coronavirus surging in the state, the City and County of Los Angeles have placed new limits on after-hours filming. FilmLA, the local film permit office, said that these new limits prohibit after-hours on-location film activity in conformance with the state’s Limited Stay at Home Order.
Starting today, permissible filming hours will be restricted to 7 a.m.-10 p.m. in residential areas and from 5 a.m.-10 p.m. in commercial areas. “Local officials also clarified that pursuant to this action, no setup activity may begin earlier than the permissible time, and at the end of the day, activity must wrap to ensure it’s ‘taillights at ten,’” FilmLA said in its latest update.
All previously issued permits for filming after these hours on or after November 26 now have been rescinded, though filming in remote and unpopulated areas of unincorporated L.A. County might be exempted, FilmLA said. “So if there are any permits out there meeting that specific criteria, they would not be rescinded,” it noted.
“These limits will apply until lifted, and for at least the duration of the State of California’s Limited Stay at Home Order, which currently expires on Dec. 21, 2020,” FilmLA said, noting that the permitting office’s production coordinators and the solution services teams are standing by to assist all customers affected by this change.
Thomas Tapp and Erik Pedersen contributed to this report.