He picked up the Sports Personality Of The Year Award on Sunday night, but Lewis Hamilton revealed he’s still battling with ill health, weeks after being diagnosed with coronavirus.
The Formula One champion, 35, reveals he lost almost a stone in weight and has ‘really low strength’ after contracting the virus.
But he has vowed to work hard and regain his lost muscle as he works on his recovery.
Getting back on track: Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton revealed on Instagram on Sunday he lost almost a STONE and ‘has low strength’ following his coronavirus battle
On the mend: He has vowed to work hard and regain his lost muscle as he works on his recovery
Taking to Instagram on Monday, he shared a picture of himself in the gym and wrote: ‘I’ve lost 6kg over the past two months. Four of which I lost when I got Covid.
‘I’ve lost so much muscle. Starting from a low point in strength now, not fun but I’m determined to get my strength back and to be 100 per cent again. No pain, no gain.’
After testing positive, Hamilton spent 10 days in isolation at the beginning of December.
Formula 1 ace Lewis was voted 2020’s Sports Personality of the Year, picking up the award from his home after a public vote
Not feeling himself: He admitted that he was physically ‘destroyed’ following his first F1 race back and came third in his race in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on December 13
He finished third at the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Sunday 13 December, saying he felt ‘destroyed’ and just ‘happy to be alive’ after his race return.
He said: ‘It’s definitely been one of the hardest weeks that I’ve had in some time.
‘Just been focusing on recovering and getting back in shape so I can get back in the car and race the final race in Abu Dhabi.
‘I woke up today feeling great and got my first workout in early so wanted to send you guys positivity and let you know I’m OK.
‘I want to thank every single one of you for sending me the amazing messages and videos, I really appreciate it.’
‘I hope that wherever you are, you’re staying positive and fighting through whatever you’re facing. I hope that I can get back in the car soon. And I’m sending you guys love
It was revealed on December 1 that Lewis had tested positive for COVID-19 with the star missing the Sakhir Grand Prix and facing an anxious wait to see if he will be able to take part in the season-ending Abu Dhabi GP.
F1 ace: The sportsman had taken to Twitter to thanks his fans for their support as he continued to isolate in his hotel room in Bahrain earlier this month, after the news of his positive COVID-19 test broke on December 1 (pictured after winning the Bahrain Grand Prix on November 29)
Hamilton had been suffering from mild symptoms of Covid-19. The seven-time world champion sees his 10-day isolation period come to an end on December 10.
The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, which is held on the Yas Marina island, is covered by extensive regulations regarding coronavirus.
The seven-time world champion said he was ‘devastated’ to miss the Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain.
Owing to Covid restrictions, all Formula One personnel travelled to Abu Dhabi from Bahrain on Monday, December 7, after which the whole country was effectively locked down.
Once in Abu Dhabi, the travelling contingent will be encamped at mandated hotels on Yas Island in a secure bubble close to the track.
That means Hamilton, who was not be allowed to leave self-isolation until December 9, a week today, would require special dispensation to arrive later.
Update: He had said: ‘Just been focusing on recovering and getting back in shape so I can get back in the car and race the final race in Abu Dhabi’
The star tested positive on Monday, November 30, less than 24 hours after winning the Bahrain Grand Prix. He was informed that ‘a contact prior to his arrival’ had also contracted Covid.
Hamilton, who spent time on holiday in Dubai with his family and close friends before coming to Bahrain, said: ‘I am devastated that I won’t be racing this weekend.
‘Since we started the season in June my team and I have been taking all the precautions we possibly can and following the regulations in order to stay safe.
‘Unfortunately, even though I returned three negative results this past week, I woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and requested another test which came back positive.
Support: The star thanked his fans for their support in the emotional message
‘Please look after yourselves out there, you can never be too careful. These are worrying times for everyone and we need to make sure we are looking after ourselves and each other.’
It is unclear when or how Hamilton caught the virus, though Mercedes have confirmed someone he came into contact with before arriving in Bahrain has also tested positive.
Hamilton arrived in Bahrain on November 26 having spent two weeks at home in Monaco celebrating his F1 world championship.
He secured the title after winning the Turkish Grand Prix on November 15 and flew home on the same evening.
While in Monaco, he enjoyed a run on the beach and a game of tennis with his father Anthony in videos shared to social media, where he also spoke about celebrating his title win ‘with family’. It is unclear which other family members celebrated with him.
In another video, the Mercedes driver could be seen travelling in the same car alongside Anthony and his friend Daniel ‘Spinz’ Forrest.
While both his father and Forrest were wearing masks, Hamilton did not have a face covering on.
The date or location of the video are not known, though it appears to have been posted on social media on November 25, the day before Hamilton was seen at the track in Bahrain.
It has also not been revealed if Anthony or Forrest have tested positive.
Before: Hamilton celebrates after winning the race. He was tested three times around last weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix – all were negative