Forsyth County winner gets $1 million Powerball prize – WXII12 Winston-Salem

Forsyth County winner gets $1 million Powerball prize



IT PLAYS OUT. JACKIE: I LOOK FORWARD TO THAT IN A FEW MINUTES. THE TIME IS 8:02. THE COVID-19 VARIANT FIRST DETECTED IN THE U.K. HAS MADE ITS WAY TO NORTH CAROLINA. THAT’S ACCORDING TO STATE HEALTH LEADERS. THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES SAYS THAT CASE WAS REPORTED IN AN ADULT IN MECKLENBURG COUNTY. IT’S ONE OF NEARLY 200 CONFIRMED SO FAR NATIONWIDE. MEANWHILE, COVID-19 RELATED HOSPITALIZATIONS CONTINUE TO GO DOWN ACROSS THE STATE. THE NUMBER HAS BEEN ON THE DECLINE FOR FIVE DAYS. THIS MORNING, AROUND 3400 PEOPLE ARE IN THE HOSPITAL WITH THE VIRUS. BUT NO SUCH LUCK WITH THE LATEST CASE NUMBERS. IN THE LAST 24 HOURS, MORE THAN 7,000 MORE CASES WERE REPORTED ACROSS THE STATE. THAT BRINGS THE TOTAL NUMBER CONFIRMED SINCE MAR TWO MORE THAN 700,000. THE CDC IS CURRENTLY INVESTIGATING WHETHER THAT VARIANT OF COVID-19 NOW IN NORTH CAROLINA IS MORE DEADLY THAN THE OTHER STRAIN. THE CURRENT DATA SUGGESTS IT CAUSES MORE SEVERE ILLNESS AND RISK OF DEATH, BUT THOSE SAME HEALTH EXPERTS ALSO SAY THE CURRENT VACCINES SHOULD STILL BE EFFECTIVE AGAINST THIS VARIANT. THEY SAY THEY HOPE THE NEW VARIANT IS JUST A REMINDER OF THE IMPORTANCE OF SOCI DISTANCING, WASHING YOUR HANDS AND WEARING MASKS. , WE TOLD YOU CONE HEALTH HAD TO CANCEL MORE THAN 10,000 VACCINE APPOINTMENTS BECAUSE THEY DIDN’T GET ENOUGH DOSES. NOW, NORTH CAROLINA REPRESENTATIVE KATHY MANNING IS RESPONDING. SHE SAYS SHE REACHED OUT TO THE GOVERNOR’S OFFICE, CONE HEALTH AND THE BIDEN ADMINISTRATION ABOUT THE SITUATION. SHE SAYS, “I SHARE IN THE FRUSTRATION FELT BY MANY PEOPLE IN OUR COMMUNITY AND I WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS SITUATION CLOSELY.” MANNING REPRESENTS NORTH CAROLINA’S SIXTH DISTRICT IN CONGRESS. NORTH CAROLINA ISN’T THE ONLY STATE EXPERIENCING SUPPLY AND DEMAND ISSUES WITH THE VACCINES. THIS IS HAPPENING ACROSS THE COUNTRY. MANY STATES ARE REPORTING DWINDLING SUPPLIES OF DOSES, AND THAT THERE’S NOT ENOUGH RESTOCKS HAPPENING. AND WHERE THERE IS STILL SUPPLY, LINES ARE LONG TO GET A SHOT. >> WE HAVE NO CLUE OFTEN JUS HOW MUCH IS COMING AND WHE I CAN’T FIND ONE. THIS SHOULDN’T BE “THE HUNGER GAMES” LIKE IT WAS WITH PPE, RIGHT, THAT WAS RIDICULOUS. JACKIE: THERE’S GROWING CONCERN THAT THE NEW COVID-19 VARIANT WILL SPREAD FASTER THAN THE SHOTS CAN GO OUT. BUT THE CDC ALSO REPORTED A NEW DAILY RECORD FOR NUMBER OF COVID-19 VACCINES ADMINISTERED ON FRIDAY. THE U.S. SURGEON GENERAL SAYS THE SUPPLY WILL INCREASE IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS, AS PFIZER AND MODERNA’S PRODUCTION INCREASES. TODAY, ANOTHER MASS VACCINATION CENTER IS SET TO OPEN IN THE TRIAD. THIS ONE IS AT THE WINSTON-SALEM FAIRGROUNDS. 2700 PEOPLE, AGES 65 AND OLDER WILL BE VACCINATED THERE BETWEEN TODAY AND WEDNESDAY. THE EVENTUAL GOAL FOR THIS MASS VACCINATION SITE IS TO ADMINISTER A THOUSAND SHOTS DA BUT AGAIN, SUPPLY AND DEMAND PROBLEMS FORSYTH COUNTY PUBLIC . HEALTH SAYS THE HAVE A LIMITED NUMBER OF VACCINES AND DEMAND IS HIGH SO THEY’RE ASKING FOR , PATIENCE. IF YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TODAY, A TRAFFIC NOTE FOR YOU. YOU’RE TOLD TO ENTER OFF DEACON BOULEVARD AND MAKE YOUR WAY TO THE EDUCATION BUILDING. >> WE ARE VERY EXCITED. I APPRECIATE ALL THE STAFF WORKING COUNTLESS HOURS IN THE OUT, FOR THE PAST 10 MONTHS TO FOCUS ON CONTACT TRACING. FASTER WE CAN DO THIS, THE FASTER WE CAN GET BACK TO NORMAL. JACKIE: YOU CAN FIND ALL THE LATEST COVID-19 VACCINATION INFORMATION FOR ALL OUR LOCAL COUNTIES ON WXII12.COM. JUST CLICK ON THE ARTICLE TITL “NORTH CAROLINA COVID-19 VACCINE INFORMATION” ON OUR HOMEPAGE. LOOKING AHEAD, CONE HEALTH WILL BE SUSPENDING NON-EMERGENCY SURGERIES. THAT STARTS TOMORROW AT MOSES CONE AND WESLEY LONG HOSPITALS IN GREENSBORO, AS WELL AS AT ALAMANCE REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER IN BURLINGTON. ALL CURRENTLY SCHEDULED SURGERIES WILL STILL HAPPEN. LOOKING AHEAD, A HISTORIC MOMENT WILL UNFOLD ON CAPITOL HILL TOMORROW. HOUSE SPEAKER NANCY PELOSI WILL DELIVER AN ARTICLE OF IMPEACHMENT TO THE SENATE ACCUSING FORMER PRESIDENT TRUMP , OF INCITING AN INSURRECTION. AIXA DIAZ IS IN OUR WASHINGTON BUREAU TO EXPLAIN HOW THIS WILL SET THE STAGE FOR A TRIAL. AIXA: THE IMPEACHMENT TRIAL WILL START IN TWO WEEKS. DEMOCRATS SAY IT’S A STRAIGHTFORWARD CASE. REPUBLICANS QUESTION THE LEGALITY OF THE TRIAL ITSELF. IN A FIRST IN AMERICAN HISTORY, A TWICE-IMPEACHED PRESIDENT WILL FACE ANOTHER SENATE TRIAL THIS TIME WHILE HE’S NO LONGER IN OFFICE. >> THE HOUSE WILL DELIVER THE ARTICLE OF IMPEACHMENT TO TH THE SENATE WILL CONDUCT A TRIAL OF THE IMPEACHMENT OF DONALD TRUMP. AIXA: THAT TRIAL SCHEDULED TO BEGIN THE WEEK OF FEBRUARY 8. TO GIVE FORMER PRESIDENT TRUMP MORE TIME TO ORGANIZE HIS LEGAL TEAM AND MOUNT HIS DEFENSE. >> WE NEED A FULL AND FAIR PROCESS. AIXA: THE FORMER PRESIDENT IS CHARGED WITH INCITING THE INSURRECTION AT THE U.S. CAPITOL ON JANUARY 6. IF CONVICTED BY TWO THIRDS OF THE SENATE TRUMP COULD BE BARRED , FROM HOLDING PUBLIC OFFICE AGAIN. >> EVERY SENATOR RAN FOR THE LIFE. EVERY SENATOR SENT THE SAME TEXT MESSAGE I SENT TO MY WIFE OR LOVED ONE ABOUT MY PERSONAL SAFETY BEING THREATENED. THEY KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, SENATORS AREN’T ONLY JURORS, THEY’RE VICTIMS. AIXA: BUT MANY REPUBLICANS SAY IMPEACHMENT IS ONLY CAUSING MORE DIVISION IN THIS COUNTRY AND , THEY ARGUE HOLDING A TRIAL FOR A PRESIDENT WHO’S NO LONGER IN THE WHITE HOUSE IS POINTLESS. >> IT’S UNCONSTITUTIONAL, IT SETS A BAD PRECEDENT FOR THE PRESIDENCY, AND IT CONTINUES TO DIVIDE THE NATION. AIXA: AND AFTER SPEAKER PELOSI DELIVERS THE ARTICLE O IMPEACHMENT TOMORROW SENATORS , WILL BE SWORN IN AS JURORS ON TUESDAY. IN WASHINGTON, I’M AIXA DIAZ. JACKIE TIME NOW IS 8:08. ONE OF THE MEN CHARGED IN CONNECTION TO THE CAPITOL RIOT EARLIER THIS MONTH IS ACCUSED OF THREATENING A POLICE OFFICER AND NEW YORK CONGRESSWOMAN ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ. COURT DOCUMENTS SHOW GARRET MILLER OF TEXAS ALLEGEDL TWEETED “ASSASSINATE AOC.” MILLER IS ALSO ACCUSED OF POSTING ABOUT THE POLICE OFFICER WHO FATALLY SHOT A TRUMP SUPPORTER DURING THE ATTACK. DOCUMENTS SHOW HE POSTED THE OFFICER “DESERVES TO DIE AND WON’T SURVIVE LONG BECAUSE IT’S “HUNTI SEASON.” MILLER WAS ARRESTED ON WEDNESDAY, ACCORDING TO THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT. HE’S FACING FIVE FEDERAL CHARGES. HIS FIRST COURT HEARING IS SCHEDULED FOR TOMORROW. HAPPENING NOW, WINSTON-SALEM POLICE ARE LOOKING FOR THIS MISSING MAN. THEY SAY 23-YEAR-OLD HUGO CALDERON-CHAVEZ COULD BE HEADI TOWARD MONTGOMERY COUNTY OR WILSON. HE WAS LAST SEEN ON JANUARY 13 ON THOMASVILLE ROAD, DRIVING A GREEN TOYOTA TRUCK WITH A TEMPORARY TAG. THE NUMBER IS ON YOUR SCREEN RIGHT NOW. HERE’S HIS DESCRIPTION, SIX FEET TALL, 300 POUNDS. HE WAS LAST SEEN WEARING A BLACK T-SHIRT, BLACK PANTS AND BOOTS. POLICE SAY CHAVEZ HAS A COGNITIVE COND

Forsyth County winner gets $1 million Powerball prize

A Forsyth County person won a million-dollar prize from the Powerball Saturday.The lucky winner bought the $2 ticket at Family Fare on Reynolda Road.Click the video player above for headlines from WXII 12 News.The ticket’s numbers were 5-8-17-27-28 and the odds of matching all five balls are 1 in 11.6 million. The winners have 180 days to claim their prize.A second lucky ticket was also sold in North Carolina, with the winner getting $50,000 in Cary.

A Forsyth County person won a million-dollar prize from the Powerball Saturday.

The lucky winner bought the $2 ticket at Family Fare on Reynolda Road.

Click the video player above for headlines from WXII 12 News.

The ticket’s numbers were 5-8-17-27-28 and the odds of matching all five balls are 1 in 11.6 million. The winners have 180 days to claim their prize.

A second lucky ticket was also sold in North Carolina, with the winner getting $50,000 in Cary.