March 8, 2021
Here are some significant developments:
- Scientists knew that the coronavirus would mutate, they just had no idea it would happen so fast, and now they fear the loose cannon variants could wreck hard-won progress.
- The support for President Biden’s $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package in much of the country suggests a shift in attitude over the role of the government in helping the economy.
- A look inside the shifting messaging and struggle to implement one of Biden’s central promises: to get children back into classrooms as soon as possible.
- Hundreds participated in an hours-long party Saturday in Boulder, Colo., that culminated in revelers shooting fireworks, flipping over a car and provoking the deployment of a SWAT team.
- A Mexican restaurant kept its mask rules even as the rest of Texas rescinded its mandate. The result was a flood of hate mail and threats to send immigration authorities to the restaurant.
- More than a half-million Americans have died from the coronavirus while nearly 29 million cases have been reported.