Coronavirus Northern Ireland: Department of Health records nine further deaths – Belfast Live

The Department of Health has reported a further nine coronavirus related deaths.

Monday’s dashboard update shows that all nine deaths occurred in the last 24 hours, with none taking place outside of this reporting period.

Northern Ireland’s death toll as a result of the virus now stands at 1,059, according to DoH compiled stats.

And these figures also show a daily rise in positive cases of Covid-19 by 397.

Figures for the last seven days indicate a rise in cases of the virus by 3,104, bringing the total that have tested positive in NI so far to 55,444.

146 people are being treated in hospital after contracting the virus, 29 of whom are in ICU.

It comes as Coronavirus vaccines are to start in Northern Ireland on Tuesday, December 8, following a shipment of 25,000 doses of the Pfizer/ BioNTech jab on Friday.

Restrictions put in place by the Northern Ireland Executive in November will also end this week.

Meanwhile, speculation continues on whether some schools will close early for Christmas, though Education Minister Peter Weir has previously said this will not be happening.

Health Minister Robin Swann has warned that NI is entering a new phase of the Covid-19 pandemic with “hopes and fears” sitting side-by-side.

He said: “The greater freedoms of the coming weeks will place great responsibility on all our shoulders. Every contact with someone outside your household comes with a degree of risk. It’s on all us of to reduce that risk as much as possible.

“Please be aware that the virus will take full advantage of situations where people mix in crowded indoor spaces with poor ventilation and where social distancing is not maintained. We must all stick to the tried and tested methods – keeping our distance, washing our hands and wearing a face covering.”