New South Wales reports four new Covid cases
Health authorities in New South Wales, Australia, reported Sunday morning four new cases of Covid-19, including a second security guard from a Sydney hotel.
Of the four new cases, two people had caught the disease while overseas and were in hotel quarantine and another was a household contact of a previous case linked to a cluster at the Apollo Restaurant.
An adviser to the country’s prime minister, Scott Morrison, has previously self-quarantined after visiting the same Greek restaurant at Potts Point.
A second security guard who had worked at the Sydney Marriott Hotel while it was being used for quarantine had also tested a positive result.
The NSW deputy chief health officer, Dr Jeremy McAnulty, said there was no indication of any additional risk to the community from the hotel. He said the state was currently treating 90 people, including seven in intensive care, where five people were on a ventilator.
at 9.32pm EDT
Queensland ‘not out of the woods yet’, says premier
Queensland’s premier Annastacia Palaszczuk warned on Sunday morning the state was “not out of the woods yet” despite reporting only two new cases of Covid-19 linked to an outbreak at a youth detention centre.
Both cases – a woman in her 30s and an infant boy – were from the same family as a known case and had been already quarantining at their home west of Brisbane.
On Saturday morning, the state introduced new rules restricting the numbers of people who could gather in homes and outside to 10 people, but businesses and organisations with Covid plans in place could continue to operate as they had been.
Palaszczuk said there were now nine cases in the cluster linked to the detention centre outbreak. The state had 16 active cases. Among 6,875 tests carried out in the previous 24 hours, 202 detention centre staff and 11 inmates had returned negative tests, with a further 20 results from inmates still to be returned.
The state’s chief health officer Dr Jeanette Young said the results of testing so far were good, because they showed the current cluster had not expanded. “But it’s too early for us to relax,” she said.
She said police had been out across the state tracking young people who had been discharged from the detention centre since 22 July.
Because staff and inmates had been previously unaware they were at risk of carrying the disease, people had been moving around different suburbs and locations.
She added: “This is why this cluster is a risk to us. We need to do a lot more testing.”
at 8.48pm EDT
Mexico’s death toll passes 60,000
at 9.30pm EDT
Melbourne set of The Masked Singer shut down after virus cases
at 8.51pm EDT
Victoria confirms 208 cases and 17 deaths in last 24 hours
at 8.52pm EDT
Health authorities in the Australian state of Queensland have confirmed two new cases of coronavirus on Sunday morning.
A woman in her 30s and an infant, both from the same family in the West Moreton area near Ipswich, had returned positive tests for the disease. The state now has 16 active cases.
The state is managing an outbreak of the virus that emerged from the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre at Wacol, west of Brisbane.
at 7.53pm EDT